It has been quite some time since I’ve had a chance to make a bra for myself - between releasing my first bra pattern, filling orders and client fittings, there simply wasn’t time. I took a bit of time during Thanksgiving to sew up this lovely striped bra and brief set.
Since learning to draft on the computer, I decided to digitally re-draft my last bra [Black and Beige Bra link HERE] from scratch to hone my skills and correct some minor fitting issues from last round.
I used a bit of leftover Double Brushed Poly Spandex fabric left over from my kid’s Halloween costume (they dressed up as Jack Skellington from the movie Nightmare Before Christmas). It’s lined with 40 denier tricot for the cups/cradle and Techsheen for the band. A bit of stretch lace for the upper cup and more striped fabric for the band for continuity.
As I had quite a bit of the super soft striped fabric left, I decided to make some briefs to match!
I took some creative liberties in the custom drafted briefs based on this design:
Changes included: adding a control panel in the front and upper sections and converted to a period panty.
FITTING and FUNCTION
Bra fits as expected given my usual adjustments: narrowing of the center gore, gothic arch in the cradle, raised height of sidewings, side boning, and “U” shaped strap in the back. The powerbars push the girls toward center front and the diagonal seam shapes the cup nicely. Bonus that the strap extension helps (comfortably) contain the side armpit boob creating slight cleavage.
Briefs were very soft and comfy but the medium weight powernet I used wasn’t quite strong enough to do much of anything. For the next iteration, I would either need to use the FIRM powernet and/or increase the negative ease in the draft. As period panties, they should do just fine for light days.